Tuesday, November 8, 2022

accelerate efficient biking



In this unit of Design and Engineering, I learned how bikes work, and how physics is cool and quite relevant even to this day. we had some FE guests who helped us with real-world examples of our learning. The most impactful field experience was our tour of a bike shop, which was also my favorite FE because it was hands-on and helped me put our in-class learning into real life. I'm proud of my engineering work, mostly hands-on assignments and problem-solving. 


The purpose of this project is to show how what we learned in class can help us make a change and impact the world around us. Bikes really haven't changed much over the past 100 years. They work similarly, using gears and wheels, and have been designed to be efficient, as most things are. I interviewed my classmate, and one important question I asked was when he had first ridden a bike he told me he started riding at a young age. This is important because I want my design to be accessible to all ages and people. 

The intended user is a highschool aged student who needs to drop their younger sibling off at daycare, so I designed a kind of rear car with two wheels, full suspension, and a roof over the top. My bike is more useable and efficient than most other bikes. It has large tires for grip and traction and more durability. It has full suspension and large tires as well as an e-assist to make the bike maximally efficient. The bike has a rear carriage for cargo or a person. It includes a light aluminum frame to compensate for the weight of the wheels and battery plus passengers. We talked about the problems our design had and then decided where to go from there. We ended up creating a bike connected to a rear car powering the bike

here are some simple calculations like how many rotations it would make on the way to the intended destination.
4/22.5x60=11 minutes to get to her destination, which is 4 miles.

19mph is her average speed

14.5”=r 29”= d

c=91.11”

2786.96 rotations

1:19 scale model

largest gear ratio= 1:18
smallest ratio= 1:3
no, rough sketch, 2022
no, irlmodel, 2022

no, geogebra model, 2022
no, labeled sketch, 2022






Multiple gears would make the most sense for my bike as the terrain varies. I would say smoothness is important, and the back car is fully braced.


ke= 16938.82 j K.E. = 1/2 m v2

p= 3990.3 n p=mv




No comments:

Post a Comment

my last ap of junior year.

 The end of the year has arrived and so has the course Policy. We've spent the class learning about government and the three branches th...