Monday, October 18, 2021

critical race theory in schools

 

this ap in the war on x is about critical race theory, and how it's been taught in schools. 
script 

Why did schools ban crt? 

Crt, or critical race theory, is basically claiming that race is a social construct. This I disagree with. I can agree that some aspects of race are incorrect, however, I feel race wasn't made specifically for the oppression of others. Parents in orange country seem to agree, as they thought that they (the parents)  should be teaching their kids, not the schools, which I agree with. Somebody who disagrees with my opinion would probably say that we should correct our definition of what CRT is. However, I believe that crt shouldn't be taught through schools in the first place. I feel like it should be the parent’s job to introduce this concept to the child or student’s mind. An article on brookings.edu’s website states that crt is talking about how systemic racism is apparent in today’s society. This is a blog and is very opinionated, however, the fact that it came up as the first search result for “News on crt in schools” and the first point is about Fox News, is a bit alarming. From that note, I found a less opinionated source from the USA today, and funny enough, below that were two fox news articles, as were mentioned in my first source. The USA Today article states that crt was politicized, as though it wasn’t already. I feel as though most controversial statements in today’s society often come out as political, rather than just stating the ethics behind them. People always quote the past and don’t often look for the future of society. 

The school system is for learning the basic principles to set young people up for success. Although, a study was released that showed that black students wanted crt in their curriculum. That being said, schools should have optional courses for controversial topics, like crt. This way, those who show interest in that topic have the outlet to learn such topics, however, this will also give the other students the opportunity to choose to not indulge in controversy, giving further diversity to the curriculum. My third-grade year in school was mostly learning about black history, as our teacher chose to teach that rather than the schools provided curriculum. This showed me a lot at a young age, and I didn’t participate in class much because I didn’t really want to dive into something that seemed so tragic and mature. It almost scared me to see all of that at such a young age. However, I feel like this shaped me a bit at the same time. In the end, I don’t think it should be completely wiped from the school system, however, it’s not something to be taught messy. It has to be done right, or not at all. There should be a certification for teaching that topic, to be completely unbias. Opposing sides claim the younger children are taught crt, the better knowledge they will have on the topic. I don’t agree. I think it’s too young for kids to be learning the ways of politics, and should be taking more time to learn basic reading and writing skills, and math that is appropriate for their age. I feel like there is a point, they should be able to learn what they want. But I know for a fact learning false information at a young age can be catastrophic. Therefore the learning process should take place in high school, at the earliest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

my last ap of junior year.

 The end of the year has arrived and so has the course Policy. We've spent the class learning about government and the three branches th...