Wednesday, December 9, 2020

water, unit 2 ap: water filter



 



Section 1 on the left, wrapped in silver tape, is holding (left to right) paper towel barrier, cotton, then another barrier made of nano fiber. Section 2 has paper towel, cotton, and another paper towel. Then, section 3 ts paper towel, sand and activated charcoal. 






(First explanation of filter)


First I used air filter material. I used this to get everything large out, and so that I was sure that there was nothing getting through. Air filters can filter particles in the air, so I'd assume they can filter water as well. I sealed it off with paper towels.


 Then, the sand and charcoal gets the small stuff so the water is clean and somewhat drinkable. I used a bunch of pieces of pvc pipe because I could unscrew the different chambers. I used two different types of



N.O.


unit 2 ap


tape (duct tape and waterproofing tape) because I wanted to ensure that no water leaked out. I put paper towels separating each chamber, not just for separation, but also for filtration and to ensure entrapment so that it doesn't just flush everything out.


(second explanation)


Then, I used cotton and paper towels. Both these would get large/medium pieces of stuff in the water. Just to get anything the first filtration system didn't get, and just because of paranoia. 


















The first strip was tap water, straight from my tap.
Its nitrate level was 30 ppm or 30/1000000, 0.00003, or -4.25 as a logarithm. Id say that the control (straight tap water) had a GH level of about 140 ppm, or 140/1000000, or 0.00014, or -3.85 as a logarithm.  The ph level was 7.5, which was about 0.0000000316

the second strip was the dirty tap water. Its nitrate level was about the same. however its GH level was 180 ppm, or 180/1000000, or 0.00018, or -3.74 as a logarithm. the ph level was 8,5, the conversion was 0.00000000316
                        
the third was the filtered dirty tap water. It had the same nitrate level. id say the GH level for this one was about 80 PPM, or 80/1000000, or 0.00008, or 
-4.09 as a logarithm. the ph level was 6.5, the conversion here was o,oooooo316.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my last ap of junior year.

 The end of the year has arrived and so has the course Policy. We've spent the class learning about government and the three branches th...